Team Alex Scholarships
Team Alex Scholarships
A minor sports coach is in a unique position to change the lives of the children or youth on their team. They might be the only or one of the few trusted adults in their lives. Building self-esteem and knowing what to say in conversations about mental health can make all the difference. Team Alex provides training to coaches that includes suicide prevention, mental health awareness and bullying awareness, and building healthy relationships with their players. We believe it’s vital that young new coaches get this training to understand the importance of mental health in sport.
Through these new scholarships, we want to encourage our graduates to pursue their academic goals and have the tools they need to pursue their coaching aspirations. That is why Team Alex, with the support of Smiles Thru Lindsey and Hockey Alberta, is pleased to launch three new scholarship funds. This will enable coaches to support athletes holistically through Team Alex training, furthering our mission to create “A World WITHOUT Suicide.”
Scholarships Offered in 2022:
- Lindsey More Memorial Scholarship – Smiles Thru Lindsey
For all sports in Alberta funded by Smiles Thru Lindsey and Team Alex, work to be done still with Smiles Thru Lindsey, $1000 yearly.
- Sabrina Sanford Memorial Scholarship – Team Alex
For all sports in Alberta, funded by Team Alex, $1000 yearly.
- Alexander Ennis Memorial Scholarship – Hockey Alberta Foundation, Team Alex Memorial Fund
For Hockey Alberta – Future Leader Development Program participants only, $1000 yearly.
The Team Alex Scholarship awards scholarships to college/university-bound high school seniors based on demonstrated academic achievement, financial need, and an expressed interest in pursuing a career related to mental health while volunteering as a coach.
- Applicants must be students graduating from high school who reside in Alberta and intend to continue their four-year college or university education.
- Consideration will be given to academic achievement, financial need and the student’s community service record.
- Students should submit a scholarship application on the form provided by Team Alex. Applicants must also provide a 1500 word essay titled “The Importance of Coaches Supporting Mental Health in Sport” or “My Mental Health Story.”
- 3 Letters of Reference from coaches, teachers and other leaders in applicants’ life.
Each $1000.00 Scholarship will be awarded annually and disbursed in July of the first year.
Deadline: July 4, 2022. Please apply online by clicking the buttons below. Only high school seniors intending to enroll in a four-year college or university school can apply. Previous scholarship recipients cannot re-apply.